Syndicated Show Reporting Basics
NPR Digital Services (NPR DS) is the sole entity charged with collecting reporting data about music streaming in order to generate and submit reports to SoundExchange (SX) on behalf of public radio stations covered by the CPB-SX agreement. While stations are responsible for providing NPR DS with quarterly data on the music they stream on locally produced shows, syndicated show producers whose shows are streamed by such stations need to provide playlists to NPR DS so that they may be incorporated into station reports so those stations will be in compliance with the reporting requirements of the CPB-SX deal.
Terms of CPB-SoundExchange Agreement
- CPB pays all performance royalties to SoundExchange, which go to featured artists and labels, for music webcasts by covered stations (that is, stations that explicitly choose to be covered by the CBS-SX agreement) through 2015
- All stations choosing to be covered by this agreement must submit quarterly reporting and schedule data to NPR Digital Services, which in turn will generate compliant reports for submission to SX on behalf of all covered stations.
- NPR DS will also collect playlists directly from syndicated show producers on behalf of stations for integration into station reports.
- All but a handful of stations report on two 7-day-consecutive periods (of their choosing) within each calendarquarter to SX through NPR DS. Calendar quarters (of course) are as follows:
- Q1: January 1 – March 31
- Q2: April 1 – June 30
- Q3: July 1 – September 30
- Q4: October 1 – December 31
Data Required from Syndicated Show Producers
Each calendar quarter, syndicated show producers must provide NPR DS with playlist logs detailing all of the songs (that is, copyrighted sound recordings) played during the entire quarter.
For each song played the following information must be reported:
- Song title
- Featured artist/group/orchestra
- Album title
- Marketing label
- Start/end times of song play within show
- Is this a syndicated 24×7 stream? If so, please provide the timezone for the playlists files that will be submitted
Syndicate shows must supply playlist data in a file (or files) that matches NPR DS’s required syndicated show playlist file formatting. Data not in the proper format cannot be processed and will not be accepted for SX reporting purposes.
Data Submission Method
Data files are submitted to NPR DS via an FTP dropbox account provided by NPR DS. More details on submitting data files is available here. Data files will not be accepted via email, CD or any other methods.
Data for each calendar quarter are due to NPR DS within 1-2 weeks after the end of each quarter (exact due dates to be announced quarterly), but can provided to NPR DS well before then on whatever schedule works best for the show producer (i.e., daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly).
Registering with NPR Digital Services
In order to submit playlist data to NPR DS for SX reporting, syndicated show producers must first register with NPR DS, by emailing us with the following information:
- Show Name
- Show Contacts – People responsible for data submission to NPR DS. For each, please provide: name, title, phone number, email address
- Show URL
- Playlist Management Tool (if any) – e.g., spreadsheet, Music Master, etc.
NPR DS will respond with a show identifier to use in reporting data and an FTP account for submitting data files.